Submission GuidelinesIn Uncategorized on July 7, 2010 at 5:53 pm
This blog showcases short stories from around the world, translated into English. The aim is to provide a platform for short story writers and their translators, so that English speaking readers, publishers and agents can sample their work.
If you’re a published author, or a translator, and would like to submit a story, please email it to us at the address below. Please note – stories must meet the following criteria to be considered:
1) We’re only interested in fictional short stories of between 500 – 3000 words in length. Please do not waste time by sending us chapters from novels, non-fiction, flimsy anecdotes, fan-fiction, etc.
2) To be eligible, stories must have already been published (in book form) in the original language, and you must tell us the ISBN number of the book in which the story originally appeared. Only in exceptional cases of political suppression/censorship in the author’s home country will this condition be waived.
3) Stories must be translated into English.
4) No payment will be made for the use of your story – our aim is to promote the work of authors and translators, not make money.
5) Only stories by living authors will be considered
6) English must be the translator’s mother-tongue (to protect the authors from misrepresentation of their work by poor translation). Poor quality translations will not be accepted.
7) You must own the copyright to the work you submit or have written permission from the copyright holder. Stories can be removed from site at any time upon request by the copyright holder.
8 ) Each story will be tagged and searchable by original language, country, subject matter, genre, etc. Please provide keywords for the tags.
9) Please provide a short biography of the author, their contact details (or the contact details of the copyright holder), and list of previous publications. Ditto the translator.
10 ) Stories will not be considered if they include material that is: a) subject to 3rd party copyright (e.g. quotes from song lyrics or poetry still in copyright); b) libelous or defamatory; c) offensive in character, or in the editor’s sole opinion discriminatory on grounds of race, religion, disability or sexual orientation.
11) The editor’s opinion is final.
Submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org